margin:100px;

Saturday, October 08, 2005

I'm dreaming of...... my exes?

Strange as it seems, they keep coming into my dreams and doing random things. None of which I can now remember, because I forget about them not long after I dream about them, but they just keep turning up there and not getting out of my head. Is this my brain telling me that I have had enough of being single? I think I was in a restaurant with one of them, and then there was something about a train, and jumping off it with a newspaper under my arm, but who knows what my brain was doing. I have the flu and a raging fever at the moment, so it might be something to do with that.

Anyway, these strange dreams prompted me to think about my exes, and wonder what they are up to now. I keep in touch with nearly all of them (that sounds like there are tens of them dotted around - there really aren't that many) but there is one who I haven't spoken to for 8 years, not since he dumped me by letter after 2 1/2 years together, 2 days before our holiday to Paris. Actually I wouldn't really care if he'd got run over by a bus soon afterwards, but there are two others who I don't contact for the sake of my sanity, and one who I do contact but who only e-mails me back when he remembers that I exist (which isn't often). I know what he's up to, but not in as much detail as I'd like. The other two I have no idea about; I know they must be alive, otherwise I'd have heard from friends that they were no longer around. But I don't know where they are now or what they're doing, although I can make a few educated guesses. I could just e-mail them and ask, but my pride doesn't let me, and anyway I'd then be really pissed off if they didn't e-mail me back........

I feel like there are a few unresolved issues I need to sort out with some of my exes - and indeed tackle the problem of why a couple of them don't really qualify as exes at all, since in their eyes we never had a proper relationship. I contemplated what it would be like to settle down with a couple of them (well, three of them actually) and came to the conclusion that one of them was never going to be husband material, for the simply reason that I couldn't see how our life would work out together. We weren't too bad as a 'couple', but anything more than that just would have been too much work for the guy. He didn't really do hard work when it came to girls.

The other two I could see myself with in the long term, and sometimes I think I still can. Which is kind of a bummer, since I'm now 4,000 odd miles away from them (I assume) and persuading people to come over to Canada and visit me is hard. It's much easier to see someone in Europe on a whim, since the flights are cheap and if things go horribly wrong you can be home within a couple of hours. But when the flights are a few hundred pounds and 9 hours out of your life, people aren't so willing to take the chance. It would be fantastic if one day in the near future I got an e-mail, saying, "Hey, I'm coming over to Vancouver to see you - get an airbed ready for me and prepare to amuse me for a week" but sadly I don't think that's going to happen. I can but hope.......

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird. I dreamt of driving on subterranean highways. I think I like mine better. The current lives of exes are better left to the imagination.

11:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, mostly... but when I was living in the States I invited a friend from uni out to visit me on a whim and she came, I entertained her for a week, and we ended up getting together and still are. Yeah flights are expensive and long, but so what? It's the long distance relationship after they come that's the killer.

2:35 p.m.  
Blogger Greg said...

I once dreamed of my eyes... which is only one letter away from my exes. fancy that.

2:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats