margin:100px;

Monday, January 23, 2006

In the blogging wilderness

Yes, I am still here. It's just been a busy two weeks. That's all I've been back in Vancouver for, but it seems like ages - I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.....

I've been back at UBC, temping in the job I was doing before Christmas. It's been quite interesting, since the application process is onto a new phase now and applicants keep ringing up or e-mailing me. I've also worked at SFU, been ten-pin bowling, helped pack up an entire house, had two interviews, applied for jobs that I'm possibly qualified for and those that I'm not, and been to a Bryan Adams concert. Which was fantastic. There were the usual suspects in terms of songs - he hit the jackpot with 'Summer of '69', then ruined the good work by playing 'Everything I Do' immediately after it. And is it just me, or did everyone else think the damn song was about a year? Call me innocent, but I didn't ever think about the alternative. And yet Bryan Adams prefaced the playing of the song by saying, "I'm often asked whether this next song is about a year..... or a sexual position.... and let me tell you, it isn't about a year...." Thanks for ruining it for me, Bryan.

Anyway, he did his set, and then there was the usual encore, and then he came back and did a couple more songs, and then he went off again. But the crowd refused to leave, since this is his home town and they wanted more, so there was a full five minutes of clapping and cheering, and eventually he appeared again with a guitar and proceeded to play six more songs acoustically. It was a good night.

Tomorrow Sunshine has roped three of us into some sort of consumer panel type night, which seems to involve us going to a hotel, watching a short film and then some commercials, and then rating them. The promise of free food is the basic draw, but it should be fairly interesting as well. Then on Weds I am giving in and getting my eyes tested, since I suspect that I might need reading glasses sometime in the near future. Sob.

And the brief news: my mp3 player won't show me the pictures that I've loaded onto it, and the Conservatives seem to have won the f***ing election. Except here in Vancouver Quadra, where the Liberals kicked their arses.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay - you're back! Hope you won't be joining Nearsighted Nation, but if it is to be, you'll be welcome to the club. Be sure to keep us posted so I'll know whether to send fun speccessories for the coming birthday.

12:07 p.m.  
Blogger Greg said...

Nearsighted Nation?

I used to make jokes about Summer of 69 being based on the position - rather complicated injokes based on exam results being based of certain favours.

I have since stopped, to be fair.

2:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it was that or Nerd Nation.

Surely there were other (funnier?) things to be making jokes about Greg?

6:53 a.m.  
Blogger Greg said...

Not on the night in question. It was appropriate and clever then. The other jokes were really brief anecdotes, based on the night and incorporating the joke.

But like I've said, I've stopped now.

12:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats