margin:100px;

Monday, December 13, 2004

A musical day

Firstly, apologies for the slightly bitter previous post...... I am sure that I will not end up eaten by alsatians. And my love life is hopefully not dead, because that would be a depressing thought. I guess every so often you just don't want to be reminded of your previous failures, because you were hoping they were going to be successes. Anyway.

I have two songs about people called Jenny on my computer; one by Christopher Beck, who did a lot of the music for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (a classical piece called Remembering Jenny) and a version of Jenny 867-5309 by the Goo Goo Dolls, live in what seems to be their garage, but is probably some club somewhere.

The second one of these is very entertaining, since it is a recording of a Tommy Tutone song from the 80s that sent people with the misfortune to have the same phone number as 'Jenny' into a tizzy. Although the song has been slightly, well, creatively interpreted by the Goo Goo Dolls, it is basically about a guy who finds the phone number of the subject of the song on a toilet wall, and is trying to psych himself up to call it. To get a good time. No jokes please. There were law suits filed and complaints made to Tutone's producers when the song aired, since a large number of college kids and general pranksters would ring 867-5309 wherever they happened to be, then ask the people on the other end of the line for sex. I love this song! Lyrics as follows (in the embellished Goo version):

Jenny Jenny who can I turn to
You give me something I can hold on to
I know you'll think I'm like the others before
Who saw your name and number on the wall

Jenny I've got your number
I need to make you mine
Jenny don't change your number
Eight six seven five three oh nine

Jenny Jenny you're the girl for me
You don't know me but you make me so.............. happy! (.......You drive me crazy mamma!)
I tried to call you before but I lost my nerve
I tried my imagination but someone came knocking on the bathroom door.....
(I'm washing my hair!............I'll be out in a minute! What are you doing in there? Nothing..........)

Jenny I've got your number
I need to make you mine
Jenny don't change your number
Eight six seven five three oh nine

I got it (I got it) I got it
I got your number on the wall (........come on everybody in the back row!)
I got it (I got it) I got it
For a good time, for a good time call

Eight six seven five three oh nine (.........let's have a 69!)


Tonight we went to see The Arcade Fire downtown, and although we were both tired, we had a good time. Music seems to be a good thing at the moment to keep me distracted from finding a job ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats