margin:100px;

Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Killers

So last night was the longed-for Killers gig!! And a fantastic time was had by all :o) even though Denise and I were stuck on the bus with six teeny-boppers who were all excited about seeing a band that they hadn't heard of until apparently they were on the OC some months ago. Denise and I sat there feeling superior about the fact that we hadn't jumped on the OC bandwagon but had in fact heard of the Killers some time prior to the episode where they made an appearance. Sadly the teeny-boppers decided to get off the bus at the same stop as us and follow us to the venue, twittering about how they didn't know where they were going and how dodgy the area was (this was the main street into downtown). Talk about unworldly.

Anyway, Denise was psyched that Tegan and Sara were the opening act for the Killers, and I have to say they were damn good, even though I'd never heard any of their stuff. Shades of Goo Goo Dolls guitar, Smashing Pumpkin riffs and Verucca Salt voices, all put together. And I was psyched on finding out the fact that Embrace are the opening act for the Snow Patrol gig we're going to in two weeks' time, which would have encouraged me to go even if it wasn't Snow Patrol as the main act. Two bands for the price of one!

So the Killers were preceded by 'Viva Las Vegas' being played, since they're from there, and they then got off to a fantastic start (of course) with 'Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine' and some great lighting. Apparently they were pretty bollocks on Saturday Night Live the other week, so we were expecting the worst, but they were absolutely fantastic. Of course everyone went mental when 'Mr Brightside' was played, and I felt that they should have played it again as the last song, but all their songs were good. The lead singer wore a white suit jacket and a tie, and looked hideously hot the entire time, but he spent the whole evening with a cheeky grin on his face, like he couldn't quite believe that all these people were cheering for him. He narrowly avoided being pulled into the crowd by tens of adoring girlies at a few points, but seemed to be loving every minute of it. And he was kind of cute, in a geeky and rather Michael Stipe crazy way.

Today my ears have stopped ringing, just about, and I have given in to the temptation of pizza, having not got takeout for about a week and a half. I didn't go to the beach with the builder (who I have to point out must be in his forties, and apparently has a wife and kids - he just invited me out because I obviously looked like a sad git with no friends and he's a nice guy) but instead stayed home and finished off my work. However tomorrow promises to be a bit manic; meet Sunshine at 3pm, go to health and beauty day at The Bay from 6-8pm, see mega mansion house with room for rent at 8pm. I can't afford this room, or at least I don't want to have to afford it, but I'm intrigued by what the house is like, since it appears to be obscenely large and only has four bedrooms in it. Apparently it has 8 sun decks, three bathrooms (I would be sharing with 'Annette'), a guest room, a rooftop patio thing, chandeliers (I kid you not) and the room for rent is 22ftx17ft. I have to see it, even if it kills me! After seeing a crappy house the other day, I feel the need to see some opulence, even if it is out of my price range. Someone give me a damn job! I'll let you all know what the house was like when I've seen it.... though I think they might be freaked out if I took pictures. I want them to like me and reduce the rent for me ;o)

I seem to have bad luck with tax offices in whichever country I'm in - I sent my return off here some weeks ago and have heard exactly bugger all since, which worries me slightly. And today my mother sent me a notice from the Inland Revenue in England, asking me to give in my tax return for the year 2004-5. Did I send them my tax return and a notice of emigration when I left the country in October? Yes I did. And did they take any notice? Did they buggery. Have I already paid them the £60 I allegedly owed them? Oh yes I have...... watch out, tax office, I'm pissed*........

*Or for my English readers, 'pissed off'. I keep forgetting that 'pissed' means 'drunk' in England, but 'angry' over here. Denise looked very confused when I said the neighbours were all on their deck getting pissed the other day. I'll learn eventually, just stick with me.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

It's important to stress too that it's better to be pissed off than pissed on, as I've often remarked.

4:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats