margin:100px;

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Welcome to my life

Or at least my music collection. Last night, for the first time in I can't remember how long, I put my headphones on, hooked myself up to my laptop and listened to some music in the dark before I went to sleep. I'd forgotten how nice it is to do that and just chill out for a bit. However, there's always that annoying point in time when the music gets overshadowed by thinking. In this case, I realised why all the songs I was listening to were good for chilling out (a select list of 20 had been chosen). These aren't necessarily my favourite songs ever, but they're damn good for listening to in the dark. There was an overwhelming plethora of acoustic guitar and piano, with classical strings in the background. Just for interests sake, my top twenty 'chilling in the dark' songs were:

Scarlet - Independent Love Song (piano, strings)
Vertical Horizon - Forever (acoustic guitar, strings)
John Mayer - New Deep (acoustic guitar, keyboards)
The Perishers - My Heart (electric guitar, piano/keyboard)
Duncan Sheik - Half Life (acoustic guitar, piano, strings). I'm sure he's nicked some parts from Foreigner!
Vertical Horizon - I'm Still Here (acoustic guitar,electric guitar)
Charlie Mars - White Out (acoustic guitar, strings). Sounds like a Smashing Pumpkins song.
Bryan Adams - I'm Ready (acoustic guitar, strings)
Matt Nathanson - Sad Songs (strings, acoustic guitar, electric guitar). Sounds like Gin Blossoms.
Matt Nathanson - First Time (strings, acoustic guitar)
Duncan Sheik - For You (acoustic guitar, piano)
Ben Folds Five - Magic (piano, strings, keyboard/harpsichord)
Five for Fighting - 100 years (piano, strings)
Jewel - Hands (piano, acoustic guitar)
Simple Plan - How Could This Happen To Me (piano and strings, plus angsty lyrics, which is always good, though there is also some electric guitar in there for ten seconds)
Switchfoot - This Is Your Life (strings, acoustic guitar, keyboards)
Bryan Adams - I Will Always Return (acoustic guitar, strings)
Ryan Adams - The Shadowlands (piano, electric guitar, strings)
Melanie Doane - I Can't Take My Eyes Off You (acoustic guitar, some cheating electric guitar sneaks in)
Switchfoot - Spirit (again, some sneaky electric guitar, but mainly acoustic guitar)

So, quite a random collection of songs, but it's good that I can identify a common thread or two in the madness......

Today I finished signing up for some dance-type classes that Christie, Patty and myself are doing; belly dance, latin dance funk and line dance (my choice, the other two are doing disco instead). I love line dancing, it's the funniest thing I think I've ever done. Shaw will remember the class that we took, with Marlisa and the guys (the guys were pretty bad at it, surprisingly, since they were good dancers otherwise). I love classes where the people don't take themselves too seriously. I also went to the final baseball league game of the season, although the Canadians are in the Championship playoffs so I might go and see them on Saturday. Despite meaning to become a volunteer for Red Cross Disaster Relief, like I've been meaning to do for months, I once again forgot to do it, so that's tomorrow's work. Maybe in the future I'll finally be able to get on a plane and get into some forensic work if needed, rather than sitting here hoping someone would take me! Appropos of nothing, the Bell Canadian Golf Open is on just down the road, so the traffic is horrendous wherever you go - another reason to stop driving and start rollerblading.

Strangely, I just looked up Oasis tickets for tomorrow, since I was on Ticketmaster, and they are still not sold out. Guess they're not as popular as they thought..... the $70 price tag might have something to do with it! I'd go for $20 ;o) or free.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other comment is odd.
I remember Marlisa and I thought that line dancing was quite a bit like our aerobics classes. A sure-fire way to get you sweatin' to the hits!

8:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats