margin:100px;

Monday, October 25, 2004

Snow, snow, beautiful snow

So, whilst watching Boston play, the announcer said that there might be snow flurries arriving there. This seems to continue a common theme here at the moment; only the other day roads 100km north and east were closed because of snow falls and resulting accidents. The temperature has dropped a fair bit, though it doesn't look like the snow will get us quite yet. It's actually quite rare in Vancouver, because we're right on the coast as opposed to in the interior.

Basically, this is just an excuse to put this picture in, as I've always liked it. Greg took this in the grounds of Ashburne one night in winter 2002/3. It was about 1am, and there had been a silent and heavy snowfall without many people realising it. I leaned out of my window to see why there were voices, and saw most of the postgrad wing (so much less mature than that year's undergrads, obviously!) emerging out onto the lawn, in gleeful delight. So of course, I threw on trousers and a coat (did I remember socks? Did I buggery) and went out to bang on all my friends' windows. Having roused a large number of people, there ensued a big snowball fight, making of snowmen, and general picture taking. I have to say, I did get more than my share of snowballs in, but Andreas just got me by surprise with this one..... note incoming snowball to top right......




Not only do I like this picture because it's funny (and you can't see my face, always a bonus) but it reminds me of waking up and having that whole childhood excitement of seeing snow, even though I was nearly 24. Even the worst places can look amazing in the snow, and pretty places like Ashburne just look fantastic. The excitement of getting dressed and going out, behaving like kids again and running about with no cares was just great. I miss the snow. And behaving like a kid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats