margin:100px;

Monday, October 11, 2004

Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving today, even though I had my dinner yesterday at my friends' house. We were stuffed with chicken and ham, loads of veg, pumpkin pie and lemon meringue. Then I came back to the flat and felt sick. Tonight it's Denise's turn; she's out for dinner while I do work, then she has to come back and write a presentation for 10am the next day. I can tell this is going to be a long night for both of us.....

So at the moment I have the laptop in the sitting room and am watching Nascar, after having watched the baseball, after having watched two episodes of CSI. This multi-channel thing is addictive. I have also done washing and more work today. I really need to do other stuff that's not so damn sad. After tomorrow, however, the weather gets nicer and gets up to 19 degrees, so I shall venture into Vancouver proper and go to the beach. I need to visit my favourite park as well; I am having withdrawal symptoms. I don't think there is anywhere I like so much in the world as Stanley Park, with its wildlife havens, sea life centre, stunning scenery and wonderful trees. My dad has less of a liking for it; he was bitten by a squirrel there a couple of visits ago. But then it was his fault for trying to feed it peanuts and making it run up his leg to get them. And before you ask, he was bitten on the finger, not anywhere worse.

In other news, Denise cunningly has tickets for the REM concert here in a few weeks and has one spare (did I say how much I liked my flatmate?) and we have discovered that we share the same music taste, so there is much downloading and recommending going on. We also share a love of chocolate and movies that mirror our lack of prince charmings; hence we made brownies and watched the Princess Bride the other night. I feel like I am regressing to school age.

Things we do better in England; potatoes, cheese, chocolate.

Things we do better in Canada; cheetos, technical support (it's FREE, dammit!), milk (there were 47 varieties in the Safeway here), pizza (fab, but SO expensive).

Things that are strange here; England only has Savlon in tubes, here it is only in liquid, like TCP. Here there are two types of bed coverings; duvets and 'comforters'.

Things that make me optimistic; coroners jobs here seem to require little technical experience, I have found a good flight centre and can get back to England for £230 return, there are two cats upstairs.

Things that make me pessimistic; I can't get a damn job I want, no-one I want to fly over here has any money to do so, I miss having butterflies in my stomach.

Laters kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats