margin:100px;

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Getting busy

So it's been a manic past week, and I think the mania shows little sign of stopping. Last week at this time Christie and I went for dinner, then gelato, and then happened to notice a football match over the road, so of course we had to watch that. It was a Richmond Firefighters team against the local team, called - for some reason - Binger's Army. We sat and watched them with our gelato, and had a chat to one of the firefighters, and vowed to go again this week :o) it was like being back in England, with foul language and threats against the ref included!

Friday involved some running around and going to the bank, and some work. Saturday and Sunday saw me working at the Dragon Boat Racing festival. I was in the Racers Services tent, which meant that I was dealing out information on results, scheduling, locations and general stuff. I also then got handed the PA system and became the announcer for the races, calling the teams to the marshalling tent and making general calls for various things. It was strange to hear my English accent being broadcast across the Racers Village, when everyone else around me was speaking with a Canadian accent. People kept coming up and asking if I was the girl on the speakers. It was great fun though, and I got a chance to watch some of the races after my shifts had finished, gaining myself a nice tan in the process. I then went to belly dancing and nearly fell asleep, since my shift had started at 6:30am that morning.

Monday saw a lot of chores taking place, some cleaning of the house and some eating of pecan pie at Granville Island, followed by a trip to the cinema to see Herbie Fully Loaded (don't worry, my friend won free tickets, so we didn't pay to see it) and a trip to get Greek food afterwards. And then yesterday saw some work, a meeting with my bank manager to try and convince them to give me a credit card, a three and a half hour trip around the sites that are going to be used for the Sea Vancouver festival in a few weeks (I am the Captain of Parking Services, so I have to schedule all my volunteers in and make sure they are placed properly to welcome guests and give them information) which was interesting but slightly scary (lots of work to be done by yours truly), a quick trip home to eat and then another meeting with ESS Vancouver. And then some more work. Phew.....

This morning I am watching Wimbledon and am getting annoyed at the fact that TSN is not showing the match between Mirza and Kuznetsova, even though Mirza is ranked a hundred places under Kuznetsova, she won the second set, it seems like a royal battle and it's on Centre Court, seemingly because neither player is American and therefore it doesn't seem to matter. Instead we are watching Lindsey Davenport demolish some poor girl in a really boring match, because they are both American. I have resorted to listening to the BBC radio coverage, which is good but would be better if we had visuals. Bloody biased coverage.

This weekend promises to be another full one. This Friday and next Monday and Tuesday, I am shooting for some film which is the sequel to 'Like Mike' which apparently had Lil Bow Wow in and was some tale about a boy who finds a pair of trainers that make him play like Michael Jordan. Yeah. So the sequel is the same basic premise I think, only with another sport. We have to wear bikinis, though I know not why. I hope it's a beach shoot so we can all get tanned..... anyway, it's three days of money. Saturday brings an orientation day for the Sea Vancouver festival where I get to meet all my volunteers, Sunday brings belly dancing and work, and Monday also brings my friend's birthday and a celebratory baseball match. I hardly have time to breathe.... and yet I still can't find a decent job.....

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Magic trainers? There was a similar story in a British comic back in the seventies - called 'Billy's Boots', they gave, er, Billy, magical football skills. Or something.

3:14 p.m.  
Blogger Mark Ronsman said...

I just have a question for you. I'm from the U.S. and it's called soccer here. I know where you're from it's football. What is it called in Canada? Soccer or Football? Thank you in advance for quenching my insatiable hunger for useless knowledge. :)

5:53 p.m.  
Blogger Jen said...

D'you know, I'm not really sure. I've said both, and people understand both. I'd have to go with "soccer", because most of our coverage of sports here is American, and they tend to use "soccer" because so much American "football" gets shown here too. And I think there is CFL here, like the AFL, so I think the rugby-shaped ball people get to use "football" and the round-shaped ball people get to use "soccer."

Don't even get me started on the types of "hockey" that seem to be around....

6:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I hope things get less hectic over the coming weeks.

4:21 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

So I take it you don't miss me anymore? :( Just kidding!!!!!! I am glad that you are busy especially in the summer because it means you get to go outside in relatively nice weather. Talk to you soon!

2:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats