margin:100px;

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Winter comes to Vancouver - as do Wide Mouth Mason!

It snowed here on Sunday night/Monday morning, and suddenly it became a white November. Too early for Christmas, but still a nice sight. Driving wasn't good, but then it never is in Vancouver anyway. Some dickhead overtook me on our road on my way to work, round a corner and in the snow. So it's snowing again now, which means that maybe I will be able to lie in tomorrow and struggle to work later! I wish....

Last night I went to see Wide Mouth Mason and The Heck at Richard's on Richard's. I decided to go on a whim on Sunday night, since I had never heard of either band but thought that they might be good. And they were. I spent the entire Heck set staring at the bassist, who was about 6 years too young for me but had my idea of the ideal body for a guy to have. This doesn't mean that he was perfect, since everyone's ideas of a good body differ, but damn, he made me wish that I spent more time in the gym. If you ever see the guy live, or you see a decent full body picture of him on the web, have a look. You'll see that I am easily satisfied, since he really wasn't out of the ordinary in any way. But take a quite skinny guy with good arms but no huge biceps, add a flat stomach and a pair of flares, and it's all over. I should have been a 70s hippy.

After lusting after the bassist's body for most of the set, I also began to appreciate their music. Enthusiasm was boundless and the drum player (who had recently come into the band, and hence is not the girl on the website) was really comical when playing. I can imagine him having done drama at school and having been fantastic at it. And then Wide Mouth Mason came on, and they were even better. Although they opened with two great songs, 'I love not loving you anymore' and 'Smile', it didn't go downhill after that, since they were equally as good throughout. The crowd was jumping up and down, and Richard's on Richard's has a stage that's right next to the floor, so the band was practically in the pit with everyone else. In fact they said that they were having a drink with all the fans afterwards, which I would have stayed for, if it wasn't for the fact that they didn't finish until half past midnight and I had to work today. Anyway, I highly recommend them for their enthusiasm, the lead singer's voice, the bassist's coolness, the drummer's cuteness and the fact that all their songs rocked. Amen to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats